May 30, 2013

Overrated Products #1: Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation.

Hello Everyone!

Todays post will be my first overrated products post, I will be doing more of these over time as I have a fair few products that I purchased due to the hype and then ended up being disappointed by. The product that I'll be discussing today is the Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation. I bought this
product some time last year, I can't exactly pinpoint when but I definitely know it was during the last year. Now I saw loads of positive YouTube videos and blog posts about this product which is what drew me in. In all the reviews I was reading, people were saying that it smelt amazing, it looked lovely and dewey on the skin and that it was suitable for pale people. When watching YouTube videos of people applying this product, and then talking about it, it did look like a suitable pale foundation.
 
 
 
I went into Superdrug on numerous occasions, and found myself always debating on whether or not to pick up this foundation. I think the reasons why I found it so difficult to purchase this product, were;

1. The Price.
This product retails at £10.00, which I think is a hefty price tag for a drugstore foundation. I'm normally used to spending £6-£8 odd for my foundations.

2. Which formula?!
Until I was in Superdrug, I wasn't aware that there are two different formulas of the healthy mix foundation. There's the serum, which is more of a gel like consistency, and retails for a couple of pounds more. There's also the regular foundation, which is the one I chose.

I eventually caved and purchased the regular healthy mix foundation in the shade Light Vanilla 51. I used it for a few weeks before I finally decided that this foundation just wasn't for me.

My first impressions of this product, were that I really did love the scent. When applying the foundation, it has a lovely peachy / apricot scent which is very refreshing. The scent seems to disappear after the foundation has set on your skin, so for those who are concerned about the smell becoming sickly or overpowering, it doesn't linger for long. I really liked the idea of this foundation containing lots of different fruit extracts, to keep the skin healthy and revived, so that factor definitely drew me in. I also really loved the finish of this product. Healthy Mix was the first dewey foundation I'd ever used, and I enjoyed how It seemed to make my complexion so much more glowy and fresh.

After a few uses I began to notice that this foundation really wasn't a good colour match for me. It was quite dark and I began to notice that during the day it would oxidize on my face and become really orange and sometimes patchy. A few of my friends had also noticed that the foundation was quite orange during the day, so I knew it wasn't just me being overly paranoid about it.

This foundation claims to last 16 hours, which from my experience, I would disagree with. It barely lasted through an 8 hour day at college, even with powder on top. Everything else on the packaging, I would agree with however.

I stopped using the foundation, but I would definitely repurchase in a heart beat if they bought out some paler shades. However, I highly doubt they will as most of the colours in their shade range are very yellow / orangey toned. 

 
 


 
As you can see from these images, it's far too dark for my skin.

So overall I'd say this product is overrated. I've seen so many people say good things about it, so I was incredibly disappointed with it. It's too orange, it oxidizes terribly, it's expensive and it doesn't last very long on the skin.

Have you ever used this foundation? What do you think of it? Let me know!


Paige.